July 30, 2021

Warrior horse


In the series of vector paintings that I am in the process of creating, I thought I couldn't make one  that didn't include a horse, since the average horse is a better person than the average person. I've no clue yet where this is going, so it may be worthwhile to drop in every now and then to see what has changed, should you be curious. So, while I horse about, do whatever suits you. At his point - July 30 2021 - this vector painting is a work in progress. Drawn in Affinity Designer of course. Not a single pixel included, because I don't use Designer's pixel persona. I wouldn't call myself a vector purist, but rather some sort of maniac with a cause, who has an evidenced aversion of creating pixel art.

The warrior part in this blog entry's title may give away what I envisioned this image to be(come) around the time I started the drawing. But few things in life are certain in this life. In fact, probably nothing is and I'm not even sure about that. I guess Heisenberg guessed quite accurately when he invented his renown principle. Therefore, enjoy things while you can, preferably without becoming a hedonistic headcase.

As usual the image progress order that you see below is from the bottom to the top. I left out the first two stages that didn't contain anything worth publishing. Below the third stage you see a vector outline view of the most recent stage of the image, if I don't forget to update it. But as I mentioned above: you never know. Oh, and by the way, for those interested, in the update paragraph in the previous blog entry some of the techniques are described that I use to create drawings like this one. So far my uncommon working methods haven't crashed Affinity Designer beyond the point of repair. Although my old computer has a hard time keeping up, the software has behaved surprisingly well.

Artists looking for versatile, demolition proof vector software to make artistic complex doodles, should consider giving Affinity Designer a try. I'm on the Redmond OS; I don't know about the Big Fruit systems. It has a long trial period (90 days) and for one sixth (50 Euro) of the annual subscription fee of Adobe Illustrator, purchasers of the Affinity program, own it for life after they parted with just a one time payment. This is especially interesting for newbie artists that don't have to worry about editing legacy files (created in AI or other software) and build their entire portfolio in Affinity Designer or for graphic veterans that are fed up with Adobe's rip off deal.



Square cut out of the horse August 1 2021




Stage 5 July 30 2021


Stage 4 July 29 2021


Stage 3 July 29 2021


*************************

Vector outline view of the most recent stage



Vector outline view stage 5