Years ago, probably somewhere around 2009, I was surprised that the Lotus databased program, started to sell their product in on a subscription based offer. There could be other software corporations that did it before, but I worked at the European Space Agency at the time in ICT support, where I encountered the subscription based scam first. The corporation that soon after ripped off its users to an unprecedented and therefore shameless level, of course was Adobe that profited from users that had a relation with their customers, that often required legacy files to be edited. But after that, things got even worse, when 3D program producers, like AutoCAD, Maya, Solid Works and Cinema 4D began to ruthlessly plunder their customers in a way by enforcing ridiculously expensive prices of thousands of dollars per year on their clients, that were trapped in the same situation as Adobe users.
When you are thoroughly agree with the unbounded greed of software producers, you may want to take a good look at the YouTube channel of Explainer Chris and explainerguy0 In which its creator discusses a slew of open source programs that do exactly of very close to what the rip off sellers try to kick down the throats of their users. In many cases, these free programs are often capable of opening, exporting and editing those of their ransacking competitors. I think this channel is definitively worth taking a peek at for many users, that feel violated financially by the makers of software that they use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGWSs6laAO0
and